CBD For Gout: Does It Help With Pain Relief?
CBD is well known for its anti-inflammatory and pain-relief properties. In this expert guide, you will learn how CBD can potentially ease gout symptoms and give you fast relief.
Gout is a complex, common, and severe form of arthritis. The gout symptoms manifest mainly in the big toe, and sufferers notice swelling, tenderness, pain, and redness in the joints. The symptoms of gout can occur at any moment, and those who suffer from gout are frequently seeking ways to mitigate their gout pain.
If you're looking for a solution to the pain caused by your gout, CBD may just be the answer. Keep reading to learn more about gout, the symptoms of gout, and how CBD can help reduce inflammation and pain for gout sufferers.
What Is Gout?
Gout is a severe form of arthritis characterized by joint pain, swelling, tenderness, and redness generally occurring in the foot, specifically the big toe. Gout is caused by high uric acid levels in the blood, which turn into crystals and accumulate in the joints. When these crystals accumulate in the joints, this causes inflammation, fever, fatigue, and severe pain. Gout is more common in men, and the pain caused by gout has been described as feeling like the affected area is on fire due to the redness and heat in the joint. Gout attacks generally occur most frequently at night.
The main symptoms of gout are as follows:
- Intense pain in the joints - this pain can be in the big toe, elbows, ankles, knees, wrists, and fingers. The pain is most intense during the first 12 hours of the symptoms.
- Discomfort - when the severe pain subsides following a gout attack, there may be discomfort in the joint lasting for a few days or even a few weeks. Subsequent episodes may be more painful and affect more areas.
- Inflammation and redness.
- Limited range of motion.
Risk Factors And Causes
The body produces uric acid to break down purines, which occur naturally in the body. However, if your body is making too much uric acid, crystals can form in the joints. These crystals then cause pain, inflammation, and swelling in the joints.
Certain factors may increase your risk for gout. These risk factors include:
- Dietary factors: eating large amounts of shellfish and red meat and drinking alcohol and beverages with a high amount of fructose can increase uric acid levels in the body, making you more likely to contract gout.
- Obesity and weight: if you are obese or overweight, your kidneys will struggle to expel uric acid levels in the body.
- Medications: if you take medications to control hypertension, anti-rejection medications following a transplant, or low-dose aspirin, this can increase uric acid levels in the body, making you more susceptible to gout.
Certain factors regarding your gender, family history, and age will increase your likelihood of contracting gout. Males between the ages of 30 and 50 are more susceptible to gout, and if you have a family history of gout your likelihood increases as well.
How To Prevent Gout?
You can implement many effective strategies to make you less likely to contract gout. Some of the steps you can take include:
- Maintaining a healthy weight - following a healthy diet plan and avoiding fad diets. Eating healthily and monitoring your nutritional intake is the best way to ensure your health.
- Reducing your alcohol intake - if you find yourself drinking daily, or drinking large volumes of alcohol throughout the week, consider limiting your intake or stopping altogether.
- Increasing your water intake - if you drink plenty of water and avoid beverages containing fructose, you will feel healthier and have more energy throughout the day.
- Exercise regularly - Regular exercise can help to improve your overall health and aid in weight loss.
- Turmeric as a natural remedy - due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, turmeric has proved to be beneficial in suppressing arthritis-related joint pain. Other natural remedies include the consumption of cherry juice, magnesium, ginger, celery, and citrus fruits.
If you live a healthy lifestyle, which involves a healthy and balanced diet, drinking plenty of water, and exercising regularly, you can lower your risk of gout pain. Try cutting out unhealthy habits such as smoking and drinking alcohol and sugary foods to lower uric acid levels in the body.
To treat pain caused by gout, doctors commonly prescribe nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS). If this treatment does not work, your doctor may prescribe oral steroids which can have significant side effects. Left untreated, the symptoms will persist, and the attacks might become more frequent.
There are alternative options that are more holistic and will reduce your need for prescription medications. This guide will cover how you can use CBD for gout pain and how it can help resolve the issue.
What Is CBD?
Cannabidiol is one of the prevalent active ingredients in marijuana. A specific form of CBD is approved for use in the US to prevent seizures. CBD is used to treat seizures, pain, and inflammation. CBD has only trace amounts of THC, making it non-addictive and non-psychoactive.
Does CBD Help Relieve Gout Symptoms?
CBD makes an excellent holistic medicine for the treatment of gout. If you use prescription medication for your gout symptoms, you may experience some of the side effects of these medications. CBD oil gives you a way to manage your gout pain and inflammation without consistent use of prescription drugs.
Benefits Of CBD For Gout
CBD oil works in various ways to help manage and mitigate the symptoms of gout. Using CBD oil for gout reduces oxidative stress and acute inflammation immediately after an injury. CBD oil does this by affecting the activity in the endocannabinoid system in the body.
So, when uric acid crystals build up in the joints and cause inflammation, CBD can help to control this inflammation and reduce the pain. CBD can also reduce pain in those who suffer from osteoarthritis. CBD can be applied in various ways to feel the benefits in the affected area.
What Do Research And Experts Say About Using CBD For Gout?
There have been several studies done to determine the effects of CBD on gout and arthritis.
A study published in Current Opinion in Pharmacology (COPHAR) shows that cannabinoids can effectively alleviate osteoarthritis pain. Since gout is an exacerbated form of arthritis, it’s logical to think that CBD might effectively manage general arthritis pain and gout pain.
How To Take CBD For Relieving Gout Symptoms?
There are many forms of CBD to choose from when it comes to taking CBD for relieving gout symptoms. It's best to opt for the CBD product that you find the most appealing based on your preferences; if you don't like swallowing pills or the feel of lotions on your skin, you may be less inclined to use the product daily to relieve stress pain and gout symptoms.
A CBD tincture is an extract from medical marijuana that combines CBD and alcohol. CBD tinctures tend to have a longer shelf life than other iterations of CBD for gout, but you may not learn to love the bitter taste. Tinctures often come with sweeteners to mask the bitter taste and vitamins, herbal extracts, and supplements.
CBD topicals are designed to be applied to the skin. This can be in the form of a lotion or CBD cream, which you can apply to the area where you wish to receive the effects of CBD. When used on the area where your gout is most inflamed, topical CBD can help mitigate inflammation and pain.
Another way to consume CBD is using pills. Pills are the least time-consuming way to get your daily dose of CBD. Consider adding a CBD pill to your morning supplement routine if you already take vitamins and supplements.
A CBD edible is a form of food or drink infused with CBD. Edibles could be gummy bears, cookies, candy, coffee, energy drinks, and can even take the form of wine. Edibles are a pleasant and fun way to include CBD in your daily routine and can be particularly useful if you're not a fan of pills or creams.
If you're already a fan of vaping, CBD vape oil might be your thing. You can get your daily dose of CBD by simply puffing away on your vape.
CBD oil is a combination of CBD extracted from a marijuana plant and a carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil. CBD oil is sweeter than a tincture and doesn't have a bitter taste, which means you can place the CBD oil under your tongue and consume it without an unpleasant flavor. You can also apply CBD oil to the skin or put a few drops of CBD oil into your coffee to receive the benefits.
What Is The Proper Dose Of CBD For Gout?
When using CBD oil for gout, it's best to start with a smaller dose, which you can always build up slowly. If you experience any side effects on your first dose, they may be worse if you start with a large amount.
So, to be on the safe side, we recommend that you start with around 10mg of CBD oil per day and slowly build up your dose.
How To Choose The Best CBD Products? What's The Difference?
If you want to choose the best CBD products for treating your gout, there are a few guidelines you can follow.
- The hemp should be organically grown, free from heavy metals, pesticides, and mold
- The product should contain safe and high-quality ingredients
- The extraction process should not involve harsh chemicals or solvents
- The product should list all ingredients
- The CBD dosage should be clearly stated
When using CBD oil for gout, it is essential to choose the top high-quality products for the best results. Not to toot our own horn, but here at Woven Earth we are very proud of our process, and here’s why.
Is CBD Safe For Gout?
CBD oil is safe and recommended to help mitigate the pain and nerve damage associated with gout. CBD is also non-intoxicating and a completely natural remedy. If you have concerns about using CBD oil for gout, consult your medical practitioner for advice.
Alternatives To CBD
Before using CBD oil for gout, you should know the alternatives and standard medications for treating gout. You can use the following medications as alternatives to using CBD oil for gout, or you can use them in conjunction with CBD oil for gout:
- NSAIDs - nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like naproxen, ibuprofen, and aspirin.
- Steroids - if NSAIDs are ineffective, your doctor may prescribe steroids.
- Medical marijuana - medical cannabis patients can use medical marijuana to treat gout due to its pain-relieving properties. Medical cannabis contains cannabidiol.
When To Consult A Doctor?
You should consult a physician if you are experiencing symptoms of gout and have not been diagnosed. You should also consult a physician if you experience side effects from CBD oil such as stomach upset or if you are taking other medications with CBD.
Gout is an extreme form of arthritis that can cause severe pain in the joints, particularly the big toe, that can feel as though the affected area is on fire. Current research shows that CBD oil can effectively treat the inflammation and pain caused by arthritis and gout. CBD oil is a holistic healthcare option and can be used safely to help mitigate gout symptoms.
If you’ve been suffering from inflammation, joint or general body pain, Woven Earth can help! In addition to our other high-quality full-spectrum products, we offer an organically grown relief cream that targets muscle aches and soreness. We also provide Joint Capsules targeted to support Joint Health & an active lifestyle.
Check out the Woven Earth Shop to learn more!